The atmosphere around FA Cup final 2018 is getting electric as only three weeks left before one of the most expected football matches in the English football calendar. The sevenfold FA Cup winners Chelsea will fight with the other top flight — Manchester United who managed to win the prize twelve times. This will be the 137th version of the oldest football competition and the first final match with these teams competing against each other over the past ten years. There’s plenty at stake here with Chelsea striving to make up for the last year’s final match defeat by Arsenal, while Manchester United will desperately fight for the only trophy this year. Everyone knows about Antonio Conte and Jose Mourinho’s feud, and this rivalry between managers definitely makes the upcoming sporting event even more thrilling.
When is the FA Cup Final 2018?
If you’re searching for the FA Cup dates or FA Cup schedule, you want to know that the final will be played at 17:15 BST on Saturday 19 May. The FA Cup final date, by the way, falls on the wedding date of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, so, that day in London will be full of significant events.
The match will kick off at Wembley which holds ninety thousand people, so, there is no doubt that the incredible atmosphere is guaranteed.
Top 3 interesting facts about the FA Cup 2018
- A very important fact is that the Football Association has already affirmed using the video assistant referee (VAR) system in the FA Cup final 2018. So, it will be the first time this system has been implemented in the tournament. Everyone hopes that modern technologies will help Michael Oliver, who will referee the game, make the right decisions during the match.
- Manchester United have managed to reach more major local cup finals than any other English football team (twenty times in the FA Cup and nine times in the English League Cup).
- Tottenham Hotspur turned out to be the first side in the history of the competition to suffer a defeat in 8 semi-finals in a row.
Road to the Final: Man Utd and Chelsea FA Cup Results
On 18 March 2018, Chelsea and Manchester United discovered their opponents in the semi-final FA Cup draw. The Blues were drawn to play with Southampton, while the Red Devils got on Tottenham.
Subsequently, Olivier Giroud and Alvaro Morata’s shots helped the Blues win their match against the Saints 2-0, thus reserving the place in the May FA Cup Final at Wembley. Manchester United, in their turn, reached their twentieth final by beating Spurs 2-1. The Red Devils made tough work of strong Mauricio Pochettino’s side, but two goals from Alexis Sanchez and Ander Herrera eventually allowed them to get into the Emirates FA Cup final.
Now, let’s have a look at both sides’ journey to the final. Here are Manchester United and Chelsea FA Cup fixtures provided with their FA Cup scores.
- 05 January 2018: Manchester United – Derby County 2-0;
- 6 January 2018: Norwich City – Chelsea 0-0;
- 17 January 2018: Chelsea – Norwich 1-1 (penalty shoot-out: 5-3);
- 26 January 2018: Yeovil Town – Manchester United 0-4;
- 28 January 2018: Chelsea – Newcastle United 3-0;
- 16 February 2018: Chelsea – Hull City 4-0;
- 17 February 2018: Huddersfield Town – Manchester United 0-2;
- 17 March 2018: Manchester United – Brighton & Hove Albion 2-0;
- 18 March 2018: Leicester City – Chelsea 1-2;
- 21 April 2018: Manchester United – Tottenham Hotspur 2-1;
- 22 April 2018: Chelsea – Southampton 2-0;
FA Cup Betting Preview
Both teams have been pretty hard to read with some impressive winning streaks and some poor performances. Chelsea have played well at times but overall they have a very disappointing Premier League campaign, and at times they have been terribly bad. They are only fifth in the Premier League table with very little chances of getting to the Champions League the next season.
As to the Red Devils, they don’t play the most outstanding football this year, however, they take the second position in the Premier League. Moreover, Jose Mourinho’s men have virtually settled the issue of getting to the Champions League next season. The Red Devils’ game has been criticised at all levels, however, the virile character and tenacity in Jose Mourinho’s side are commendable.
When it comes to the playing style, Italian and Portuguese coaches have much in common. They both prefer pragmatic football, so, the upcoming match doesn’t promise a full basket of goals and dangerous moments. Therefore, it is reasonable to find the right selections in the “Under 2.5 or 3.5 Goals” betting markets. With that, you want to keep in mind that both outfits have a huge number of outstanding performers that can always change things within no time by scoring one or two goals.
Interestingly, the Chelsea FC head coach Antonio Conte doesn’t consider his outfit the favourite of the FA Cup final 2018. He stated this after the match against Southampton. As for FA Cup betting, sportsbooks also share the Italian’s opinion and provide the London team with the longer betting odds. The latest FA Cup odds for the Blues to be the winners are at 19/10. The Manchester United’s chances of winning the title are higher. Online betting websites offer 6/4 FA Cup odds for Jose Mourinho’s side to be the outright winner.
It is also worth mentioning that Antonio Conte has intimated that he is ready for reconciliation with Jose Mourinho. “We are talking about two managers with strong characters, and two winners. When in your mind and your heart and your blood there is the will to win. For sure, we want to try to win this trophy. I have great respect for United’s story, for Mourinho’s story, and they have the same respect, I think, for Chelsea’s story and my story. But we want to win,” Antonio Conte stated after the victory over Southampton in the FA Cup semi-final.
Now, you are familiar with the FA Cup schedule and betting odds provided by online bookmakers on their websites. It is the right time to evaluate chances of both teams, pick the right sportsbook and place the right bet!